I am experiencing a drainage problem. What do I do next?
Subdivisions are designed to convey stormwater through storm sewer and overland flow routes to the detention ponds. Many lots are designed with swales through the side yards and rear yards to collect storm water run-off. These areas are designed to be wet during storms. If these areas are wet or soggy during and immediately after rainfalls, then dry up within several days, they are operating correctly. If the areas remain wet for weeks after the last rainfall, there may be a drainage problem. It is important that homeowners do not obstruct overland flow routes or swales with landscaping, sandboxes, sheds, or other items. If the swales are obstructed, it may cause standing water in the yard or lead to other drainage problems.

Show All Answers

1. Which major roads are maintained by the state or county, and which does the city maintain?
2. Do you have a list of survey benchmarks?
3. Who do I contact regarding the city's Sidewalk Program?
4. My final grading is not approved. Why can't I install a fence / pool / shed?
5. My neighbor's sump pump is discharging onto my property. How can I make them stop this?
6. I want to regrade my yard. Do I need a permit?
7. Is my final grading approved?
8. I want to tie my sump pump into the storm structure in my rear yard. Do I need a permit?
9. I am experiencing a drainage problem. What do I do next?
10. How can I determine if a property is within a floodplain?
11. Has my landscaping been approved? When will I receive my refund?