At Your Door
The City of Lockport has recently expanded its service with Waste Management to include the At Your Door (AYD) Special Collection® Service. The program includes collection of many types of potentially hazardous and hard-to-recycle items from residential homes which are not permitted for disposal in regular refuse collection services.
- Household Chemicals – Ammonia, cleaning compounds, bleach, floor stripper, drain cleaner, rust remover, carpet/upholstery cleaner, tile/shower cleaner, and more
- Automotive Products – Antifreeze, motor oil, oil filters, fluids, polish, waxes, vehicle batteries, upholstery cleaners, and more
- Consumer Electronics – Computers, laptops, keyboards, monitors, microwaves, DVD/CD players, CD ROM, fax machines, cell phones, VCRs, desktop printers, scanners, gaming systems, related cords, and more
- Paint Products – Oil-based paint, latex paint, spray paint, artist paint, wood preservative, stain, caulk, sealer and more
- Batteries – Batteries of various sizes: AA, AAA, C, D and rechargeable.
- Garden Chemicals – Herbicide, insect spray/ insecticide, fertilizer, pesticide, and more
- Fluorescent Light Bulbs – Compact fluorescent lamps (CFL) and straight fluorescent tubes
- Thermometers & Thermostats – Numerous items that contain mercury
- Flammable Items – Kerosene, gasoline, solvents and more
- Syringes and Lancets – Sharps, syringes, needles and lancets
- Swimming Pool Chemicals – Pool acid, stabilizer, chlorine
Schedule a Collection
To initiate a request, residents within incorporated City of Lockport limits, may schedule a home collection through three easy steps.
- Contact Waste Management – Request a home collection of your items. Have list of your unwanted materials ready. You can contact Waste Management by filling out a request form online, or by calling (800) 449-7587, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. (CST).
- Get a Kit in the Mail – Open the collection kit. Read and follow the instructions.
- On Your Pick Up Date – Place materials out before 7 a.m.
On May 5, 2021, the City Council approved an amendment to the agreement with Waste Management adding the At Your Door (AYD) Special Collection® Service to the current contact. A Recycling Survey (2021) published to receive resident input regarding the program indicated 89% of respondents were either likely or very likely to use the service.
The program became effective on June 1, 2021. More information about the AYD program is available on Waste Management’s website.