- Community & Economic Development
- Code Enforcement & Landlord Program
Code Enforcement & Landlord Program
Welcome to the Code Enforcement Department for the City of Lockport. This department is responsible for enforcing building codes, zoning codes and other municipal ordinances adopted for the safety, health and well-being of the public. Enforcement Inspectors are part of a problem-solving team that informs property owners of violations and uses their knowledge and experience to help find solutions to compliance issues. The goal of the Code Enforcement Department is to build relationships with the community to support safe and healthy living and working conditions. Enforcement Inspectors investigate issues in residential and commercial zones, follow-up on concerns from residents, homeowner associations and area businesses and identify code compliance issues to provide a positive impact on the property values and image of our community.
Code Enforcement Contact Information
Chuck Legg- Code Enforcement Official
Email Chuck Phone (815) 838-0549 Ext. 2140
Christine Criss- Code Enforcement Assistant
Email Christine Phone (815) 838-0549 Ext. 2153
Click Here to Submit a Complaint Form
Code Enforcement Duties
Investigation of City code and Ordinance Violations including, but not limited to:
- Landlord Rental Property Registration and Health and Life Safety Inspections
- Personal Property in the City Right of Way or Parkway
- Abandoned/Inoperable Vehicles on Private Property
- Open Burning of Trash and Yard Waste
- Garbage Nuisances
- Weeds and Grass over 8” tall
- Improper Parking/Storage of Vehicles (including Recreational Vehicles)
- Exterior Property Maintenance (such as Abandoned and Dilapidated Buildings)
- Zoning Violations (including Prohibited Signs or Signs Displayed without Permit)
- Swimming Pool Barrier Violations
Lockport Landlord Program Best Practices
Health and Life Safety Conditions (PDF)
Rental Property Health and Life Safety Check List (PDF)
Tips for Hiring Contractors (PDF)
Best Practices in Leasing (PDF)
Landlord Video Series
Health and Life Safety Conditions - Landlord Video Series
Tips for Hiring Contractors Video - Landlord Video Series
Best Practices in Leasing - Landlord Video Series
ProChamps Registration Information - firstname.lastname@example.org
Bulk (large) Item Removal / Recycling - Large items that need to be disposed of (i.e. couches, small tables, mattresses, chairs, etc.) can be scheduled directly with Waste Management at (800) 796-9696 for a bulk item pick up.
- Residents can obtain details on recycling and schedule pickups at wmatyourdoor.com, by calling (800) 449-7587 or by emailing AtYourDoor@WM.com.
Electronics Recycling - For a directory of drop off locations for electronics, including the Lockport Public Works facility on Prime Blvd., contact www.willcountygreen.com.
Household Maintenance Programs for Seniors - Senior Services Center of Will County 251 North Center St. Joliet, IL 60435 (815) 723-9713 www.willcountyseniors.org.