White Oak Public Library

There has been a public library in downtown Lockport since 1921. It has been housed in a number of buildings over the years. The library has been located in its present facilities since 1965.  In February 2010, the voters chose to expand and update their Downtown Lockport library facility through a building bond referendum.  During the renovation, the Library operated out of the historic Gaylord Building.  In September 2013, a completely remodeled 19,750 square foot building reopened. 

Improvements

  • Addition of an elevator, making the 2nd floor handicap accessible
  • Installation of ADA-compliant restrooms on each floor of the building
  • Expanded public computer areas
  • Computer Lab for technology classes
  • Quiet Reading Room
  • Teen Room
  • Reconfigurable meeting room spaces
  • State of the art audio/visual/sound systems
  • Storytime Room
  • Wider book aisles
  • Two private study rooms
  • A collection of 84,000+ items with space to add more materials
  • Updated mechanical systems, improved lighting, and electrical and plumbing systems that meet modern building codes