City Clerk

Greetings and welcome to the City of Lockport City Clerk's website.

The City Clerk's Office handles the following applications, requests, and services. Please feel free to stop in the office at 222 East 9th Street, 2nd floor, if you should need any of the following. Donna Tadey, Deputy Clerk (815-838-0549, ext. 2121) will be happy to assist you.  The Office is open from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

April 4, 2017 Consolidated Election Notice - Petition packet

NOTICE is hereby given that the first day to circulate petitions for Mayor, City Clerk, City Treasurer, and one (1) Alderperson for each of the four (4) Wards for four (4) year terms of the City of Lockport for the April 4, 2017 Consolidated Election is Tuesday, September 20, 2016.

The first day to file a petition is Monday, December 12, 2016 and the last day to file is Monday, December 19, 2016.

The Office of the City Clerk is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. and is located in the Central Square Building, 2nd Floor, 222 E. 9th Street, Lockport, IL.  The Office will remain open until 5:00 p.m. on December 19, 2016, which is the last day to file a Petition.

List of all Offices to be voted upon at the Consolidated Election which will be held on April 4, 2017 for Mayor, City Clerk, City Treasurer, and each of the four (4) Wards for a four (4) year term.

Mayor Four Year Term
City Clerk Four Year Term
City Treasurer  Four Year Term
Alderperson     First Ward Four Year Term
Alderperson Second Ward Four Year Term
Alderperson Third Ward Four Year Term
Alderperson Fourth Ward Four Year Term, 

Historic Lockport Postcards for Sale

​The City Clerk's Office offers for sale Historic Lockport Postcards for 65 cents each.     

Freedom of Information Request

The Illinois Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is the main state law that addresses citizens' access to public records that are created, compiled, or kept by government bodies. The idea behind the act is to enable citizens to obtain information about the workings of government - the purpose of which is to serve the public good. From the act: "Such access is necessary to enable the people to fulfill their duties of discussing public issues fully and freely, making informed political judgments and monitoring government to ensure that it is being conducted in the public interest."
Outdoor Special Event Permit
​An Outdoor Special Event is a one-time or infrequently occurring event that takes place outside normal operations, programs, or activities of the private sponsoring/organizing individual, group or business.  An Outdoor Special Event Permit may be permitted in any Zoning District upon application to the City Clerk's Office for review and approval.  A permit is required for any of the following outdoor activities, including but not limited to:  Any organized athletic, fundraising, or public awareness types of events, including those that may be used on any public streets or sidewalks as their route; Special business promotions, excluding temporary outdoor sales; Carnivals, Parades, Petting Zoo's, and Fireworks Display; Church socials, festivals, and weddings *(*except for those held at the Lincoln Landing/governed by the Lincoln Landing Site Council); Gatherings.

 All persons desiring to conduct a Special Event shall first submit an application to the City Clerk's Office no less than thirty (30) days prior to the event.    Application fee and documentation to be provided at time of submittal shall include:  A non-refundable processing fee of $25.00 per event.  A valid copy of a State issued licensed or identification card for the contact person.  Outdoor Special Event Permit Application Please contact Donna Tadey, 815-838-0549 ext. 2121 for further information.

Garage, Yard, Estate Sale Permit

Permits are not required for a garage, yard or estate sale; however we do limit these to six (6) days per calendar year. Signs may not be placed in any public right-of-ways, on utility poles or sign posts. All signs must be located on private property with the permission of the property owner.  

Block Party Permit
Residents in the City of Lockport who would like to host a Block Party must obtain a Block Party Permit from the City Clerk's Office. A  must be submitted to the Clerk's Office at least 2 weeks in advance.  A permit will then be issued.  A permit is not needed for private backyard parties.  ​Block Party Application (PDF)

Any questions please contact the Clerk's Office.

Exhibition/Carnival/Circus License

No license shall be issued for conducting a Carnival, Exhibition, or Circus, until the Applicant has placed on file with the City Clerk's Office a Certificate of Insurance indicating that there is in effect Public Liability Insurance covering damages arising out of the use and operation of devices and facilities operated in connection with the Exhibition, Carnival, and Circus. The insurance shall be in the minimum amount of $1,000,000 for each person and $1,000,000 for each accident. Additionally, the City shall be named as additional insured under the insurance policy. The cost of the License is $25.00 per day. Checks may be payable to the City of Lockport and submitted to the City Clerk's Office. A license will then be issued. 

For carnival rides, a check for $10.00 per ride must be submitted to the Building Department (921 S. State St) prior to scheduling inspection of the rides. Ride inspections should be scheduled at least 2 days prior to event.  Please call the Building Department to schedule the inspections. 

Special Event Liquor License

​ and Special Use Permit Liquor License

It shall be unlawful to sell or offer for sale in the City any alcoholic liquor without having a license or in violation of the terms of such license.

The Special Event Retailer's Liquor License (Not-for-Profit) application form is to be used only for special events conducted by an educational, fraternal, political, civic, religious, or not-for-profit organization. The application can be found on the Illinois Liquor Control Commission website at 

The Special Use Permit Liquor License application form shall allow an Illinois-licensed liquor retailer to transfer a portion of its alcoholic liquor inventory from its licensed retail premises to a designate site for a Special Event.  Applicant must already hold a State of Illinois Retail Liquor License.  The application can be found on the Illinois Liquor Control Commission website at

Return the completed application along with the Certificate of Insurance, and the City fee of $31.25 per day to the City Clerk's Office to obtain your City of Lockport's Special Event Liquor License.  Check is made payable to the City of Lockport.  You will need to name the City of Lockport as "additional insured."  The amount of insurance should be $1,000,000.  Please contact the Clerk's Office with any questions or concerns.

Gaming / Vending Machine/Ice Cream Truck Licens

Fill out and submit the Gaming / Vending Machine Application (PDF) to the City Clerk's Office.

Any questions please contact the Clerk's Office.

Raffle License

In order to conduct a Raffle in the City of Lockport, Raffle License Application (PDF) can be obtained through the City Clerk's Office.  A license shall be issued only to bona fide religious, charitable, labor, business, fraternal, education, or veterans' organizations that operate without profit to their Members and which have been in existence continuously for a period of five (5) years immediately before making application for the license. All Raffle licenses shall be classified based upon the aggregate retail value of all prizes to be awarded and are required to pay a license fee:  Class A License - Less than $5,000.00 is automatically licensed without the necessity of an application and there isn't a fee.  Class B License - $5,000.00 or greater an application needs to be submitted to the Clerk's Office along with the fee of $25.00.

Fidelity Bond:   All operations of and the conduct of Class B Raffles as provided for in this subchapter shall be under the supervision of a single Manager designated by the organization.  Such Manager shall give a fidelity bond in the sum of $5,000.00 or two times the aggregate value of prizes, whichever is less, in favor of the Licensee conditioned upon his honesty in the performance of his duties.  The bond shall provide that notice shall be given in writing to the City of Lockport not less than thirty (30) days prior to cancellation.  Bonds as provided for in this Section may be waived by the City of Lockport by the inclusion of a waiver provision in the License provided that a License containing such a waiver provision shall be granted only by unanimous vote of the Members of the licensed organization.

Any questions please feel contact the Clerk's Office.

Tag Day & Street Solicitation Permit

No Tag Day or Street Solicitation may be conducted without first obtaining a Tag Day and/or Street Solicitation permit through the City Clerk's Office.

Tag days may be conducted subject to the following regulations :

    (1)   Tag day permits shall only be issued to charitable organizations.
      (2)   Not more than one tag day permit may be issued for any given day, except in the month of December, where two permits may be issued for any given day.
       (3)   A tag day permit shall be valid for not more than seven days.
      (4)   An organization may not be issued more than two tag day permits in a calendar year.
      (5)   (a)   Tag day permits may be requested no earlier than 8:30 a.m. on the first Monday of June of the preceding year for which the applicant is applying.
         (b)   In the case where applicants who are requesting the same time period are present at the City Clerk's office at 8:30 a.m. on the first Monday in June, a lottery will determine the preference.
      (6)   If multiple organizations requested to conduct tag days on the same day, preference shall be given to the applicant first applying for the permit.
      (7)   No tag day may be conducted without first having obtained a tag day permit.

Fill out and submit the Tag Day Application (PDF).

Any questions please contact the Clerk's Office.

Voter Registration

Voter registration is available at the City Clerk's Office Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m, or at other voter registration locations (PDF). To be eligible to register to vote, a person must:
  • Be a United States citizen
  • Be 18 years of age or older on or before the next election
  • Be a resident at your current Will County address for 30 days immediately prior to the next election; you must bring with you at least 2 forms of identification that show current name and address (e.g., piece of mail postmarked within the past 30 days which has been addressed and delivered to you, Driver's License, state ID, student ID, employee ID, library card, utility bill, checkbook)

Notary Public

The City Clerk's Office, the Lockport Water Department (222 E. 9th Street) & the Community Development Center (921 S. State) offer free Notary Service. The notary is a witness to your signature. You must sign the document in front of a notary. Bring proof of identification and the unsigned document to any of these locations, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.