The City Clerks Office is the official keeper of the City records and maintains all official City records. The City Clerks Office operates as the City of Lockport’s public information resource center serving the community, residents, and all municipal departments within the City.
The City Clerk’s Office is responsible for providing the following services:
- Prepares and maintains the City of Lockport City Council Meeting Agendas and Minutes.
- Publishes/Post City Meeting Notices, Special City Meeting Notices.
- Maintains City Commissions, Committee Agendas, and Minutes.
- Publishes the adoption of City Ordinances online with American Legal Publishing Company.
- Serves as the Freedom of Information Officer for the City and processes Freedom of Information Requests.
- Maintains all City records including Ordinances, Resolutions, the
City Codes, Contracts, Agreements, and other pertinent documents.
- Provides Voter Registration Service.
- Provides Notary Public Service.
- Issues Outdoor Special Events, Block Party Permits, Tag Day and/or Street Solicitation Permits, Amusement/Automatic Amusement Device License, Exhibition/Carnival License, Food and Beverage (Vending Machine) Dealer License, Food Dispensing Vehicles License, Pop-Up Tent and/or Cart License, and Ice Cream Truck License.
- Issues Liquor Licenses, Special Event Liquor Licenses, Raffle & Chance Licenses, Video Gaming Machine Licenses, and Tobacco/Vaping Licenses.
- Offers for sale Historic Lockport Postcards.
Freedom of Information Act Procedure & Applications:
- Freedom of Information Request Form - Non-Commercial (PDF)
- Freedom of Information Request Form - Commercial (PDF)
- Procedures for Requesting Public Records (PDF)
Applications for Licensing and/or Permits:
Applications for all licenses and permits listed below as required by Ordinance shall be made in writing to the City Clerk. Each application shall contain the name of the applicant, the permit or license desired, and the fee to be paid. Each application shall contain additional information as may be needed for the proper guidance of the City Officials in the issuing of the license or permit applied for. A license or permit is required for doing business or engaging in any activity, or occupation in the City.
- Tag Day & Street Solicitation Permit (PDF)
- Amusements, Exhibition/Carnival, Automatic Amusement Devices (Vending Machine)
- Outdoor Special Event & Block Party
- Tobacco/Vape Shops
- Food Dispensing Vehicle/Pop-Up Tent/Cart Food Vendor
- Ice Cream Truck (PDF)
- Video Gaming Operator's
Permits are not required for Garage, Yard, Rummage, or Estate Sales. A sale may be conducted on private property in a residential zoning district for the display and sale of household and personal items and may occur for a period not-to-exceed six days in a calendar year. Sale signs may not be placed in any public right-of-ways, on utility poles, or on sign posts. All signs must be located on private property with the permission of the property owner.
Tag Day & Street Solicitation Permit:
No Tag Day or Street Solicitation may be conducted without first obtaining a Tag Day and/or Street Solicitation permit through the City Clerk's Office. Tag days may be conducted subject to the following regulations:
(1) Tag day permits shall only be issued to charitable organizations;
(2) Not more than one tag day permit may be issued for any given day, except in the month of December, where two permits may be issued for any given day;
(3) A tag day permit shall be valid for not more than seven days;
(4) An organization may not be issued more than two tag day permits in a calendar year;
(5) Tag day permits may be requested no earlier than 8:30 a.m. on the first Monday of June of the preceding year for which the applicant is applying. In the case where applicants who are requesting the same time period are present at the City Clerk's office at 8:30 a.m. on the first Monday in June, a lottery will determine the preference;
(6) If multiple organizations requested to conduct tag days on the same day, preference shall be given to the applicant first applying for the permit.
(7) No tag day may be conducted without first having obtained a tag day permit.
In order to conduct a Raffle in the City of Lockport, a Raffle License Application can be obtained through the City Clerk's Office. A license shall be issued only to bona fide religious, charitable, labor, business, fraternal, education, or veterans' organizations that operate without profit to their Members and which have been in existence continuously for a period of five (5) years immediately before making application for the license.
All Raffle licenses shall be classified based upon the aggregate retail value of all prizes to be awarded and are required to pay a license fee:
Class A License - Less than $5,000.00 is automatically licensed without the necessity of an application and there isn't a fee.
Class B License - $5,000.00 or greater an application needs to be submitted to the Clerk's Office along with the fee of $25.00.
Fidelity Bond: All operations of and the conduct of Class B Raffles as provided for in this subchapter shall be under the supervision of a single Manager designated by the organization. Such Manager shall give a fidelity bond in the sum of $5,000.00 or two times the aggregate value of prizes, whichever is less, in favor of the Licensee conditioned upon his honesty in the performance of his duties. The bond shall provide that notice shall be given in writing to the City of Lockport not less than thirty (30) days prior to cancellation. Bonds as provided for in this Section may be waived by the City of Lockport by the inclusion of a waiver provision in the License provided that a License containing such a waiver provision shall be granted only by unanimous vote of the Members of the licensed organization. Any questions please contact the Clerk's Office.
Description of Liquor Classifications & Annual Fees:
Bar & Packaged Goods - Class A-1 $1,750.00
Bar & Packaged Good & Entertainment - Class A-2 $1,750.00
Bar - Class B-1 $1,000.00
Bar & Entertainment - Class B-2 $1,250.00
Restaurant - Class C-1 $1,000.00
Restaurant & Entertainment - Class C-2 $1,250.00
Social/Fraternal Club - Class D-1 $400.00 No Entertainment
Social/Fraternal Club - Class D-2 $400.00 - Entertainment
Packaged Goods Only - Class E $1,500.00
Special Events (Charitable) - Class F $31.25/per day
Wine Only - Class G-1 $1,000.00
Wine & Entertainment - Class G-2 $1,250.00
Health Spa's - Class G-3 $200.00
Tasting and/or Sampling Privilege - Class H $300.00
Specialty or Pharmacy Stores - Class H-1 $750.00
Super Market Sales - Class H-2 $1,500.00
Restaurant Beer and Wine - Class J-1 $1,000.00
Restaurant Beer, Wine, & Entertainment - Class J-2 $1,250.00
Rental Hall & Entertainment - Class K-1 $1,000.00
Hotel & Entertainment - Class K-2 $1,500.00
Brew Pub - Class L-1 $1,250.00
Craft Brewery - Class L-2 $1,000.00
Craft Distillery - Class L-3 $1,000.00
Events on Publicly owned Property & Entertainment - Class M $500.00
Licensed Truck Stop - Class N $1,500.00
Outdoor Patio - $125.00
Supplemental License Class 1 (Packaged Sale of Craft Beer and Wine) for off-site consumption for Class C-2 Licenses - $200.00.
- The combined Total of Class A-1, A-2, B-1 & B-2 Licenses shall not exceed six (6).
- The combined Total of Class A-2 License shall not exceed one (1).
- The combined Total of Class C-1 & C-2 Licenses shall not exceed twenty-two (22).
- The combined Total of Class D-1 & D-2 Licenses shall not exceed three (3).
- The combined Total of Class E License shall not exceed three (3).
- The combined Total of Class G-1 & G-2 Licenses shall not exceed one (1).
- The combined Total of Class G-3 License shall not exceed one (1).
- The combined Total of Class H-1 License shall not exceed two (2).
- The combined Total of Class H-2 License shall not exceed four (4).
- The combined Total of Class J-1 & J-2 Licenses shall not exceed three (3).
- The combined Total of Class K-1 & K-2 Licenses shall not exceed two (2).
- The combined Total of Class L-1, L-2, and L-3 Licenses shall not exceed two (2).
- The combined Total of Class M License shall not exceed two (2).
- The combined Total of Class N License shall not exceed three (3).
*The number of Liquor Licenses authorized to be used within the corporate limits of the City shall not exceed 52.
**Please contact Sonni Williams, City Attorney, at 815-838-0549 ext. 2142 with questions on the availability of obtaining a City of Lockport Liquor License.
Special Event Retailer's Liquor License and Special Use Permit Liquor License:
It shall be unlawful to sell or offer for sale in the City any alcoholic liquor without having a license or in violation of the terms of such license. The Special Event Retailer's Liquor License (Not-for-Profit) application form is to be used only for special events conducted by an educational, fraternal, political, civic, religious, or not-for-profit organization. The application can be found on the Illinois Liquor Control Commission website at www.illinois.gov/ilcc. The Special Use Permit Liquor License application form shall allow an Illinois-licensed liquor retailer to transfer a portion of its alcoholic liquor inventory from its licensed retail premises to a designate site for a Special Event. Applicant must already hold a State of Illinois Retail Liquor License. The application can be found on the Illinois Liquor Control Commission website at www.illinois.gov/ilcc. Return the completed application along with the Certificate of Insurance, and the City fee of $31.25 per day to the City Clerk's Office to obtain your City of Lockport's Special Event Liquor License. Check is made payable to the City of Lockport. You will need to name the City of Lockport as "additional insured." The amount of insurance should be $1,000,000. Please contact the Clerk's Office with any questions or concerns.
Voter registration is available at the City Clerk's Office Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m, or at the voter registration locations (PDF). To be eligible to register to vote, a person must:
- Be a United States citizen
- Be 18 years of age or older on or before the next election
- Be a Resident at your current Will County address for 30 days immediately prior to the next election; you must bring with you at least two (2) forms of identification that show current name, and address (i.e. piece of mail postmarked within the past thirty (30) days which has been addressed and delivered to you, Driver's License, State ID, Student ID, Employee ID, Library Card, Utility Bill, Checkbook)
Lockport residents who are registered to vote in Will County can view their voter information on the Will County Clerk's website (under Voter Services, then Voter Look Up). After entering your information, select "My Elected Officials" under the "Voter Links" heading. Will County Directory is a good source of information to find Election information, National Officials, State Officials, Will County Government Officials, Municipal Government Officials, Township Officials, and much more.
The City Clerks Office, Water, Building, and Public Works Departments offer free Notary Service. The Notary is a witness to your signature. You must sign the document in front of a Notary. City employees are unable to serve as witnesses. Bring proof of identification and the unsigned document to City Hall, 2nd Floor, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.